How corn grows. Show your child a corn plantation either from a book or from the internet. A corn plant starts growing from one seed that is planted into the ground. Out of the ground comes a shoot and then it grows maybe 7 ears of corn. Open a corn ear and you will find hundreds of corns inside. Isn’t that amazing?! One corn seed can be so generous and share and share and share. Of course all this is only possible through Allah’s power. Our beloved Sayyida Khatija (a) was also so generous. Her wealth was used to save Islam. Her wafaat is in the Holy month of Ramadan. Lets remember her kindness and generosity and try to take a page out of her book. Ask a grown up to help you make pop corn. Watch the corn pop. See how generous the corn is. Popping out with lots to share. Share your pop corn at mosque today.
Read Surat al Baqarah, (2:261), “The parable of those who spend their property in the way of Allah is as the parable of a grain growing 7 ears with a hundred grains in every ear. And Allah multiplies for whom He pleases. And Allah is ample giving, knowing.”
Ear of Corn Kit:
- Paper with ear of corn lightly outlined
- Yellow paint
- Green crepe or tissue paper
- Pop corn kernels
- 1 Tablespoon of Oil
- Dip your finger into the yellow paint and create little dots to colour in the corn bud.
- Shape the green crepe or tissue paper into leaves and stick them on either side of the corn once the paint has dried.
- Count how many dots you have put on your corn bud. Think about how all these corn grains begin with just one dot, one seed.
- Ask a grown up to help you make some pop corn. Watch how the small pot is now a whole bowl of popcorn! It grew and grew so generously. Share your pop corn with friends at mosque after iftar.
- Place your corn art work on the fridge and every time you see it, recite the ayat and remember how generous you are going to be like Sayyida Khatija (a).