Empathy is awareness of the feelings and emotions of other people. It links ourselves with others. We understand what others are going through as if we are feeling it ourselves. Imam Husayn (a) is a role model of empathy. He showed us why it is important to show empathy to others. He showed us how to put ourselves in the shoes of others. What a wonderful world we would live in if we all showed empathy towards each other. Lets delve into learning about emotions and how to best deal with different situations as guided by Imam Husayn (a). If you see your younger sibling stuck and needs help , help them out. Put yourself in their shoes. If mum is tired, think about how you feel when you are tired and if someone offers you something like a glass of water, you feel so loved and cared for. Do that for mum! Give her a hug. Give her some love. If you see a friend at school, cheer them up by giving them the gift of your company. LETS LIVE HUSAYN!
Your memory ayah from the Quran to help you in instilling this value is, Surat Tawbah, (9:128):
“Surely, an apostle has come to you from among yourselves; previous to his is your falling into distress, respecting your and to the believers compassionate.”
Empathy Activity Kit:
- Styrofoam eggs – minimum 5
- paint brush
- black marker
- situation cards
- Select faces for your emotion eggs from the attached sheet. Be sure to have a variety of emotions like happy, sad, angry, confused etc
- Paint your eggs and leave them to dry.
- With your marker, draw our your chosen emotions onto the painted egg faces.
- Try making the faces you have drawn out onto your eggs.
- If you make them in front of the mirror, think about what you look like with each emotion.
- Bring out your situation cards- try and see if your eggs fit the roles of the giver and receiver in each situation.
- Think about what Imam Husayn (a) did in Karbala. How did he respond to Hurr?
- Think about Imam Husayn (a) and what he would do in some of the situations on your cards.
- Make a silent promise to LIVE HUSAYN