Dates are a yummy food Allah has made. They grow on date palm trees and give us a lot of energy and strength. Rasullulah (s) ate dates when he broke his fast. Have you ever wondered how amazing the process of dates growing is? Find a documentary to watch with your child. They are so sweet, yet grow in the desert where there is lots of sun and little water. The date palm tree still produces sweet sweet dates! Allah talks about the dates in the Holy Quran. Read Surat al Anaam, (6:99), “…And from the palm trees, of its emerging fruit and clusters hanging low..”
Watch the yummy date balls tutorial and make some date balls to serve your family and friends! There are ahadith that talk about breaking ones fast with dates and giving others food to break their fasts too. Recite the dua for iftar every evening with your family and enjoy home made date balls together!
Date Balls Kit:
- Date paste
- 1tbsp Butter
- Desiccated Coconut
- Corn flakes
- Beautiful platter to serve your date balls
- Chopped nuts- e.g. almonds, pistachios
- Chocolate chips
- Rainbow sprinkles
- With the help of a grown up. Add 1tbsp of butter to the date paste and microwave for 40 seconds. Mix and microwave for another 40 seconds. Mix again. Be careful- the mixture will be hot! You can also heat your date paste on a medium flame if you prefer not to use a microwave.
- Allow the date paste mixture to cool.
- Place your cornflakes between to newspapers and crush them using a rolling pin. Enjoy the crunching sounds. Thank Allah for your ears.
- Add the corn flakes to your date paste mixture and mix well. (Additional ingredients can be added now)
- Place your coconut in another bowl. Shape your date paste mixture into little balls and coat with coconut.
- Serve on your special platter at iftar time. Think about Allah when you eat your date balls and share what you have learnt with your family.
- Say Alhamdulilah!