Imam Husayn (a) stood brave and courageous in the land of Karbala. He didn’t leave his salaat even during the time of battle. His heart was focused on Allah because it was a pure heart. He guarded his heart from all bad. One of the most important things we want to do in our lives is to keep a clean and pure heart. Thus allowing us to pray like Imam Husayn (a). What do we have to do to guard ourselves, guard our hearts? As you select which things you allow in your heart and which ones you don’t, think about how this will help you get closer to Allah.
Your memory ayah from the Quran to guide you in instilling this value is, Surat Taha, (20:14):
“… and keep up prayer for my remembrance.”
Salaah Activity Kit:
- Coloured card- e.g. red
- Guard your heart print out
- Hole punch
- Cut out a large heart from the card.
- Using a hole punch, punch holes along the V shaped edges of the heart. Be sure to punch the holes close together.
- Thread the string through the first hole in the card and tie a knot at the end of the string.
- Create a blanket across the V of the heart by threading the string through the holes in the card.
- Cut out all the words on the worksheet below.
- Discuss each word and whether you wish to let this value into your heart. Does it go with what Imam Husayn (a) stood for? Guard your heart from all non Husayni values.
- Place the values you think are good and wish to uphold into your heart. At the end of each day or each week, look at your heart and what you wish to allow into it. See if you have managed to guard your heart from non Husayni values.